Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Another sign of spring

Outside my window at work, for the first year, I'm seeing crows in the sweet gum trees. This one in particular found a twig to grab with its beak. Surely it must be building a nest somewhere.

The film on the window made the photos not a clear as they'd have been otherwise, but the film on the window helped me get these photos--the crow didn't get startled and fly away.

Could I look this graceful while holding something in my mouth, balanced three stories up from the sidewalk? No way!
DSC_62_crow_twig

Here's the first one I took. It appears the crow has peeled the outer layer of bark from the twig, there on both sides of the beak.
DSC_60_crow_twig

DSC_66_crow_twig

The crow amazed me, standing there holding the twig, sort of looking around, then turning.
DSC_74_crow_twig

Then it moved a bit to the left.
DSC_76_crow_twig

Still moving, it went closer to the center of the tree.
DSC_77_crow_twig

And then it bent over and put the twig beneath on of its feet!
DSC_78_crow_twig

See? There it is, being held with the crow's right foot!
DSC_79_crow_twig

I couldn't believe it. The crow took the twig back into is beak!
DSC_81_crow_twig

DSC_83_crow_twig

DSC_86_crow_twig

It worked hard to get where it wanted to go, twig in mouth, feathers spread for balance. What tenacity!
DSC_93_crow_twig

Here's the last photo in the series. I think the crow looks jubilant.
DSC_101_crow_twig

No comments: