Tuesday, February 28, 2012

October 17, 2008, the Dirty Dozen Brass Band at Jimmy Mak's, an easy walk from home

DSC_0328p
Solo time. Sound so low that my skin vibrated with the deep timbre of the saxophone.

DSC_0259p
I walked to Jimmy Mak’s at 221 NW 10th Ave. (between Davis and Everett), just 12 blocks from the apartment where I used to live ...

DSC_0222p
... on a great Friday evening filled with funky, outta sight live music and a house packed with fans of the band.

DSC_0286p
You see, I knew the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, having enjoyed them outdoors a couple of times in my hometown of Jackson, Mississippi.

DSC_0242p

DSC_0362p
Women came on stage at the invitation of the band ...

DSC_0373p... to dance ...

DSC_0400p... and groove to the music.

Impossible to remain still. Fine fun.My older son Lamont joined me once he got off at 3 Doors Down Cafe, the restaurant where he used to work. Always great to enjoy live music together, always.

After the show he walked me to the bus stop a few blocks away on Burnside in front of Powell's Books. Not long after, I boarded the 20 and rode on home.

No comments: