Monday, January 04, 2010

Vacation, Day 4, 10/24/2009, Part 7

Back to Jackson, Mississippi, where Mama and I met up with around a dozen friends for supper at Sal & Mookie's New York Pizza & Ice Cream Joint.

The entrance and a covered dining area.
DSC_0047

The other side of the entrance, another covered dining area.
DSC_0048

Good friends for many years, Jean, Libby and Jamae--I couldn't believe I was sitting there with them in Jackson--fantastic!
DSC_0051

In fact I got so excited and shaky and happy at seeing everyone, at being able to hug them, that I forgot to take very many photos, and the ones that I did take are blurry. Like this one of good friend Nina, a new mother to Roscoe who is in the next photo.
DSC_0053

He's gorgeous!
DSC_0052

Roscoe and his Aunt Joy, enjoying a smile together.
DSC_0054p

My burger, the Statue of Liberty, 1/2 pound of all-American ground chuck, charbroiled and served with sliced tomato, pickles, lettuce and red onion, hold the pickles for mine. It was huge, tasty, too! I could only eat half of it, along with some of the fries. That's the rest of my burger in the bag in the photo below, the spoon to the dessert I couldn't pass up is resting on the paper bag.
DSC_0057p

My dessert, Mookie's Brownie a la Mode, made with the best, ever-lovin' brownie in the universe, along with vanilla ice cream, topped with hot fudge, nuts, whipped cream and a cherry. You see, I know about that brownie because I used to get it all the time when I lived in Jackson, at Sal & Mookie's sister eatery, Broad Street Baking Company. Allow me one more aside, please--Lamont and Leland got their start in these two eateries' elder sister, so to speak, Bravo! Italian Restaurant and Bar, Lamont as a bus boy, Leland as a dishwasher. I am eternally thankful for the chance to learn that my sons got from Jeff Good and Dan Blumenthal.
DSC_0058

No comments: