Friday, March 16, 2007

I wore my SPQ Wannabe Wannabe tiara at work today ... see.



Actually, this photo was taken after work, in our apartment. Mama looked some kind of cute with the camera hanging around her neck, her tiny hands trying to stretch to hold it and find the button to push to take the shot. And she didn't cut my head off one single time, I'm proud to report.

The sharp-eyed among you will notice that my tiara appears attached to a black headband. That's right, it is wired to it with sparkly silver pipe cleaners. In 2004 when I learned on a Wednesday that I could be Donna's Wannabe Wannabe on Saturday, she and I went to the SPQ house to meet Jill's husband Kyle, whom Jill rightfully calls The Cutest Boy in the World. I was supposed to find a costume and accessories. That's what I did, not the least bit worried about a tiara minus its head-grabbing teeth. For years at Forest Hill High School, I'd been successfully attaching different spirit-filled signs and other things to headbands, during football season mostly.

As for the shamrock headband, it was merely green felt, so I spread iridescent glitter all over the shamrocks and attached those chartreuse-tinted feather/maribou thingeys to each shamrock stem. I've of the more-is-so-much-better school.

Wearing my tiara and headband today filled me with good-time memories of marching the parade route with thousands of flamboyant folks having the time of their lives. Thanks for letting me share them with you.

And tomorrow when it's really St. Patrick's Day, I'll be sporting the two of them again. I just might hop up outta my chair and march around the apartment, too, as well as when we venture outside to walk Duncan, the darling dachshund.

P. S. I forgot yesterday to mention how much good Sweet Potato Queens from all over have done for Katrina victims, raising more than $50,000 for them, as well as $15,000 for Christmas toys for kids on the Gulf coast.

Another P. S. If any of you are animal lovers, you're gonna want to know about this animal shelter, so close to SPQ Pippa's heart. Here's what the Jackson Free Press' Chick Issue had to say about Pippa's Animal Rescue Fund (ARF) and here's the Web address for it, http://www.animalrescuefund.info/:

Pippa Jackson
Elizabeth “Pippa” Jackson, a Sweet Potato Queen, has a heart for saving the lives of innocent pups. In 2005, after rescuing dogs for years on her own budget, the animal lover noticed that most of the shelters she called were already full. “If you’re a ‘no kill’ shelter, room is only available when an animal is adopted out,” Jackson says.

Out of this need for more shelters grew the opportunity for Jackson to open the Animal Rescue Fund. ARF is located on Flag Chapel Road, in a space leased from Community Animal Rescue Adoption Inc. Jackson cleaned and set up the shelter on her own, and has only one full-time employee. Their ultimate goal is to find a larger space—preferably in Rankin County, because the county lacks shelters.


ARF has 40 dogs ready for adoption, but there are other ways to help out. Jackson says the biggest need is volunteers to help with feeding and to clean cages, and to give the dogs a little love and attention. They can use cleaning supplies, especially bleach (ARF uses up to four gallons a day), Animal Health Products or PetSmart gift cards, dog pens and even old socks. “You can ball up an old sock, tuck it into a larger one and tie a knot in it—instant dog toy,” Jackson says.

ARF’s Web site has success stories like the one about Magic, a black lab who went from being thrown from a car on County Line Road to becoming a little girl’s best friend and biggest fan. Who knows? You might just find your new best friend in the process … diamonds are overrated, anyway.
—Andi Agnew:

No comments: