Sunday, December 02, 2007

Flat Stanley and I tour Portland's Living Room

fc_otters7

fc_otters6

Alongside Yamhill as we walked towards Pioneer Courthouse Square, we found a couple of otters perch on a concrete fountain, already turned off for fall. He looks great standing there with them, doesn't he?

fs_deer_onway2_piocrtsq

Likewise here on the back of this mama deer, standing near her fawn.

fc_steps_alone_wide_enhanced_horiz

fc_steps_alone_vert_enhanced

At first it appeared that no one was home in Portland's Living Room.

fc_allow_me_whole

No one except for this kind man offering his umbrella to anyone in need--he's actually a life-size statue called "Allow Me." Flat Stanley really got a kick out of how real he seems. You can see close-up photos by clicking here.

fc_trista_page_photographer

Then we saw this photographer lady who appeared to waiting for something. Turns out that Trista Page--that's her name--was indeed waiting for someone, a model for a Nordstrom photo shoot. All three of us got a kick out of this photo of Trista and Flat Stanley.

trista_page_prof_photog_nordstrom_shoot

Here she is at work. Flat Stanley said, "Trista has more stuff with her than you do. Maybe you ought to suggest that she get a rolling bag, too." I laughed and told him I'd leave that up to Trista, the professional photographer.

fc_bronze_hat

We walked across the top of the ampitheater, towards a set of stairs in the center of the square. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed this bronze hat, holding rainwater.

fc_chess1_wallet

We went down the stairs and turned left, towards Morrison. That's when we saw these two bronze chess boards, resting on pieces of a fallen column. Flat Stanley was relieved when I explained that it had not fallen by accident, that it was all part of the public art at the square.

fc_chess2_cup

fc_fallen_column1

fc_fallen_column4

As we walked up the stairs towards Morrison, we noticed this face, sort of smiling at us. "Could I have a picture with that face?" Flat Stanley asked. Naturally I agreed as you see here. I think this face is part of what's known as a waterfall fountain--I'll have to go back to check at some point.

fc_head3_closeup

Flat Stanley and I rode the 15 bus home after our fun tour of Portland's Living Room.

2 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

Wow - Flat Stanely looks like he's having a blast...exploring Portland and meeting new people!

FANTASTIC Post!!!!

Isadora said...

Looks as thought you two had quite a nice tour. Does not look as thought it was very cold. I love the little animal statues. The man with the umbrella and red tie we've seen before and I still like him...but look, what is that! A Saks!! Can't be a bad place no matter what else :) Say hi to Flat Stanley for me.