Sunday, March 09, 2008

Spring is in the streets!

Forewarned is forearmed--is that how it goes? Anyway, what I'm trying to do is tell you that I know from past experience (last spring, summer and fall) that I cannot control myself when it comes to taking photos of Portland's flora.

Sunday afternoon I walked out of the apartment after watching the end of the NASCAR race in Atlanta where my favorite driver again finished third, crossed NW 22nd Avenue at Everett, and walked about 300 feet west. There I stopped and took this photo, one I've been wanting to get since last week when this huge camellia began to bloom in earnest. I wanted a blue sky for the background, to do honor to that tree. Besides that I got the tiny red leaves that color the top of that tree to the left, farther down the sidewalk. What a great time of the year!
camellia_tree_wide
Blossoms up close for you.
camellia_tree_close
Next, I walked back to the corner on Everett and turned right onto NW 22nd, heading north to Glisan. Just before I reached that intersection, I saw this flowering tree, one that I remember well from last year.
flowering_tree_030908
It's amazing to me that so many gorgeous tiny flowers can appear from such a tiny spot on the trunk of the tree.
flowering_tree_close
Do you know what kind of tree this is, please?

What signs of spring are you seeing again this year?

5 comments:

Lilli & Nevada said...

WOW! i am so jealous, you are only a couple of hundred miles from me and you have spring already. So far i have daffodils that are just out but not blooming not even sure that they will.
Looks like Azaleas

Anonymous said...

I think it's a dogwood

Anonymous said...

Hey lynette! Beautiful flower pics! I think that tree is a cherry blossom tree or japanese cherry tree like the ones in Washington DC that bloom this time of year.

Love Lindsay

Carl H. Sr. said...

It looks very similar to the flowers on our azalea bushes here.

Unknown said...

Thank you, once again, for the gorgeous pictures from home!

My first thought was "azalea" but then I thought the flowers were more dogwood shaped. I'm not much help, am I?