Thursday, April 05, 2007

The little horse is gone!

In the early evening, Mama and I walked down NW 23rd with our friends Danielle, her mom Pat, and Meehan, Pat's granddaughter and Danielle's niece. I took my camera just because. Know what I mean?

First I spied this white horse across the street. It looks raring to go, despite its saddle having slipped to the side. I particulary like its juxtaposition between the car and the motorcyle. You can see the wire used to tether the little one to the horse ring, barely visible behind the motorcycle's back wheel.

A few more steps down the street brought us to the site of the horse I had found on Saturday. All that remained was the wire! It didn't appear to be cut, either! I had read about horse thieves at http://horseproject.home.comcast.net but hoped that I wouldn't witness such disregard for innocent creativity. Pure folly, that hope.



After a good dinner at Rose's Restaurant and Bakery, we walked back towards where their car was parked. That's when I spied this mangled but still attached horse. That's Meehan beside it. I have to believe that the horse's condition--the seriously shortened back legs, the completely missing front leg and bedraggled mane and tail that you can see all too well when you click on the photo to enlarge it--resulted from the little feller having fallen into the street, the victim of tires attached to heavy vehicles. You can see where the gray background changes in intensity so you know how close the edge of the curb is, and you can tell how long the wire is. Do you agree with my deduction?



I promise, I'll keep looking for happier horses to share with you. That won't all be this sad because I have faith in creativity.

No comments: