Saturday, April 14, 2007

Cosmic Coincidence

Duncan, the sweetest little dog in the world, didn't place high enough to have his name mentioned on the air on K-Hits 106.7. He said to tell you that he's A-OK with this turn of events and will now return to the comfort of his lap-sized quilt and his rocker.

I'm fine and dandy, too, listening to the hits of the '60s and '70s on Honk. The memories began to fly through my mind, ricocheting through time. As I waited for the announcement, I decided to look up that song, "Smoking in the Boys Room."

Why that particular one, you ask? I'll tell you.

Back in the '90s, when I worked weekends at the Antique Mall of the South in Ridgeland, one Henry Weck had a booth in the mall. Turns out Henry played the drums with Brownsville Station, and according to Wikipedia that's their most famous song.

What a coincidence, right? Doesn't hold a candle to this one, believe me. Not 10 seconds after I'd finished reading Wikipedia's entry about Brownsville Station, with its mention of Henry (nicknamed H-Bomb), Mark Lindsay announced his next song, "Smoking in the Boys Room"!!!!!! Right after "Smoking in the Boys Room," the winner's name was called--Buddy.

I'll always have the upper of the Brownsville Station-Henry-Weck-coincidence tempering the downer of the mascot announcement. It's a great memory, too, in the cosmic scheme of things.

Henry never struck me as a rock-n-roller, more like a guy with great taste in antiques, collectibles, and dogs--he had miniature dachshunds, and I assume he still does; we've lost touch, doggone it. For some intriguing candid shots of Henry, then and now, look him up on Google Images. The site at http://bs.angeltowns.com/index.html is pretty great, too. I need to try to find Henry somehow or other.

No comments: