Tuesday, June 12, 2007

"Cavemen, this fall, on ABC," intoned the voice-over announcer.

I'm watching Game 3 of the NBA Finals. I hear something like, "This fall, evolution will be filmed." I look around in time to see someone's creative take on those evolution posters--you know those that show from monkey to man. Then I hear, "Cavemen, this fall, on ABC."

Oh, my. I need Google and right now! Here's what I found out. ABC has "Cavemen" on its fall schedule, Tuesdays at 8 p.m. There's short video clip, a cast list, and this:

"Over the last hundred thousand years, mankind has evolved from primitive creatures into the sophisticated beings we are today, with the exception of a small minority who unfortunately didn't physically evolve.

Meet Joel, his younger brother Jamie, and his best friend Nick, three cavemen living in modern-day Atlanta. These cavemen continually find themselves at odds with contemporary society as they struggle to overcome their physical appearance and the accompanying stereotypes.

Joel is content with his life while pursuing the American dream, and has recently become engaged to Kate, a lovely Southern Caucasian girl. However, he must constantly vie for the respect of her conservative parents. Joel's relationship with Kate and his personal contentment are constantly being put to the test by Nick and Jamie's emotional demands..

Basing the show on their popular GEICO "cavemen" commercials, Joe Lawson, Will Speck and Josh Gordon (Blades of Glory ) have created a hilarious and thought-provoking social commentary on race relations in today's America."

Wel-l-l-l-l, I just don't know. What do YOU think?

2 comments:

KDIVI said...

I think it will be interesting to at least see the first episode. I have read your blog entries about them but I don't know any one who is simply crazy about the commercials much less a television series! I wonder how the idea of the thirty second commercials will be translated into a series of thirty minute episodes. I mean I hope they do realize they will need to fill an entire season!

Lynette said...

Unless it opens against some sort of grand one-hour series that I cannot miss, I plan to at least watch the first episode. Being from the South, I'm curious about this premise of using cavemen stereotypes in conjunction with race relations in America today. How in the world will that work? So, I don't want to put on the blinders about "Cavemen" until I've seen it.