Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What's with these commercials for yellow jacket traps?

Have y'all been seeing the Raid TV commercials for disposable yellow jacket traps?

Oops! What was that? Mama and I just felt the apartment shake for a second! Sort of move-e-dy, move-e-dy, move-e-dy, and it was over. Real quick. So quick that I was thinking, "Did I feel what I just felt?" instantly. Mama looked at me and I looked at her. I had just sat down to go back to the question above (in between watching contestants dance on Fox), so I sat down again to see if that's what we felt. It wasn't. We think it was an earthquake!

Just confirmed in a crawl at the bottom of the screen during "So You Think You Can Dance," Breaking News! A 2.9 magnitude earthquake just hit Portland, right before 9 p.m. PDT. The station says that the epicenter was around Canby, 25 miles south of Portland. No damage reported.

Now I've felt two earthquakes, Mama one! I hope that none in the future are any larger!

Well, back to this yellow jacket product conundrum. Before the earthquake, there was a commercial for the traps; I've been seeing them for several days now. Neither Mama nor I can remember ever being around enough yellow jackets to understand why traps should be marketed specifically for them. At Raid's Web site, I clicked on Learn More and did. I especially like the fact that it's a non-toxic attractant.

Do y'all see the need? Or has Raid created the need? Understand I'm not making fun because I know stings can be lethal. I'm just curious what you think?

Please feel free to tell me you think I'm crazy, if that's what first pops into your mind. I think it's better than dull and boring!

UPDATE

Channel 8 News on Channel 3, at 10 p.m. (I think it's great that the NBC affiliate runs their news an hour early on another local station for those of us who don't want to stay up until almost midnight!)

Earthquake updated to 3.3, so it's a minor earthquake instead of a micro earthquake. Reports came into the station from all around the metropolitan area.

No comments: