Thursday, February 22, 2007

Along the Willamette River and into downtown Portland on a sunny Saturday

We rode the trolley away from the lower aerial tram station, then got off and walked down to the river. After a light lunch at the Little River Cafe, we walked all the way along the river about half way to the Morrison Bridge. Then we crossed into downtown and walked some more. Mama did extremely well for an 81-year-old lady, let me tell you. We ended up meeting Leland and going inside the Pioneer Place Mall to the Food Court for coffee, pastries, ice cream--whatever struck our fancy--before saying goodbye. Bob and Pat had to catch an evening train back to Seattle.



I don't know if I can truly express my feelings about these bridges in Portland. I fancy them. I'm in awe of them. I'm curious about them. I love them.

I've yet to be near the Hawthorne Bridge and its 165-foot tall lift towers when the bridge has been raised. Those red counterweights, made of reinforced concrete, weigh 880,000 pounds each! One of these days, I'll get a stupendous photo to share with you. Afterall, it's raised every eight hours to keep its bearings greased, so I should get the perfect chance.



Isn't that green grass lovely from afar? Up close, I imagine the geese deposits make it less so. Click on the photo and you can see the flock dining away. Later on a long-haired dachshund, on a leash thank goodness, delighted in running hither and yon as goose after goose took flight. The dachshund's person soon was picking up his/her feet, checking the bottom of his/her shoes. (I cannot remember if it was a man or a woman!)



You can tell just how bright the sun shone from the shadow cast by Mama's visor. She, Pat and Bob kindly posed for me. As we walked along, I kept thinking of the day it snowed and of my walk across the bridge. What a great memory.



This marina is beside the Riverplace Hotel, where Lamont used to be the sous chef. You can see the Marquam (pronounced Mark-em) in the background. Opened in 1966, this bridge made it possible to traverse I-5 from Mexico to Canada. Another negative comment about the Marquam from The Portland Art Commission likened it to the Erector Set toy of days gone by. Personally, I find it impressive and usefully majestic in demeanor. I've even managed to head south over it, driving along on the bottom level, 130-feet above the river.



Thanks to my zoom lens, you can see Mt. Hood peaking through beneath the decks of the Marquam as it soars over the east side of the river.



What do you think of the old building reflected in a puddle on the street? See the leaf floating at the top of the building, since it's upside down?



I think this interesting sign sums up one of the many rewarding and enriching aspects of Portland, not just that there are people who would care enough to post it, but also that those same people have faith that those who read it will heed it. Many will, I'm sure.



The Morrison Bridge sports brand new energy efficient LED lighting on those massive bascule piers. A group of community volunteers known as the Willamette Light Brigade works toward their goal of providing architectural lighting for all of the Portland bridges that cross the Willamette. Here's a link to how the lighting looked before the LED change:
http://www.lightthebridges.org/legacy-morrison.htm
For Christmas, the lights were red and green. This particular bridge opens up like two drawbridges facing each other in a duel.



That's my building to the right of Mt. Hood. Remember, Mt. Hood is at least 60 miles away.



One of loads of tiles with phrases or quotes on them, on SW Yamhill. For a moment, I thought about breaking out into the "Hokey Pokey."



I couldn't resist having Mama and Pat stand beside this wonderful, wonderful plaque. Click on the image so that you can read it, please. I believe it was on the wall of Tiffany's, as were the two sculptures. They're what's known as bas relief, arent' they? Someone out there knows. Please share with me.



No comments: