Sunday, November 23, 2008

Getting ready for Christmas in Portland's living room

As the MAX train I was on pulled to a stop on Nov. 15, I got this shot of Portland's Christmas Tree. Workers had it upright and ready for plumping and shaping. Trimmed branches encircled the tree's base. I wonder if the man in the bucket is trimming or attaching?
DSC_0293
After the free "tour" of the Central Library's new eco-roof (more about that on another post), I walked back to Pioneer Square to take more photos of the process.
DSC_0323
DSC_0324
This fellow explained and demonstrated how to make the branch into an attachment.
DSC_0326
You can tell from this direction just how much plumping and shaping will make a beautiful sight for everyone to enjoy once the light switch is thrown Friday night after Thanksgiving.
DSC_0322
Here's a close-up of the trunk. I cannot remember for sure, but it seems to me that the trunk is surrounded by a base that doesn't allow the public to get to the branches. By "get to the branches," I mean touch them and/or mess with the lights. I'll have to look at last year's photos to know for sure.
DSC_0325
This shot was taken from almost the same spot as the first one, but I was standing in the square instead of on the MAX.
DSC_0328

I looked back to Nov. 24, 2007, and found out that my memory still works! You can see the base in this photo of the unlit tree.
112407_unlit_tree
And a bit of it at the bottom of this photo of the lit tree.
112407_lit_tree

Good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I plan to attend the lighting again this year, for my third time which is all of my Thanksgivings in Portland.

No comments: