Saturday, November 01, 2008

Our buddy Lucy's come to visit, all the way from Mississippi, via Minneapolis where her daughter's family lives

lv_nov1_airport
Here's the dynamic duo, headed towards the Buick as I had driven up and stopped to get them where they waited outside the airport baggage area. I had already put Lucy's bag into the trunk when I went to fetch the car. On the drive into Portland proper, Mama said for me to watch for somewhere to stop for something to drink and maybe a bite to eat.
lv_fairleys_signs
At the traffic signal to the left of this building, I had read on their window, among other words, "coffee" and "milkshakes," so I suggested we give it a try. Both of them were game, so I circled. We parked on NE Sandy Blvd., right beside the door to Fairley's Pharmacy.
lv_car_laugh_fairleys_sidewalk
Y'all know Mama will be 83 in January, well, Lucy's two years older. Both of them had a time getting out of the car, so much so that we got the giggles.
lv_fairleys_fountain_stools_drug_counter
You cannot tell from this photo, but the height of the platform running along the counter with the stools on it made it impossible for the three of us to sit there without risking a terrible fall. And I wish you could tell how much wider the building is at this point--it's one of those triangle-shaped ones seen here and there in Portland, on both sides of the river.
lv_fairleys_milkshake_machine_glasses
This splendid machine made me a fine chocolate milkshake, with the help of the skilled young woman manning the counter.
lv_fairleys_milkshake
Here's my shake, with the rest of it waiting patiently in the metal container from the milkshake machine.
lv_fairleys_counter_shortbread_case
The soda counter turns the corner, going towards the prescription counter. Inside the small glass case we found some good-looking shortbread cookies, some even dipped half-way into chocolate.
lv_fairleys_prescriptions_cropped
I really like the retro-look of the "Prescriptions" sign.
lv_fairleys_coffee_halfandhalf_shortbread
The girls each ordered a 12-ounce house coffee. Lucy asked for milk for her coffee. She gave it a generous dose of what turned out to be half and half, plus some sugar. Mama takes hers black.
lv_fairleys_coffee_sugar_spoon_water
As Lucy stirs her coffee with my milkshake spoon, Mama pours a bit of water into hers--she always has to do that because it's either too hot or too strong. And there you see our shortbread cookies; they turned out to be very good.
lv_fairleys_lucy_calls_home_mama
Revived, Lucy called her sister Winnie, down in Jackson, Mississippi, to let her know she'd arrived safe and sound. I got Mama to lean over and smile for another photo.
lv_fairleys_gals_stools
Just before we left to get into the car, both of them graciously posed for me again, standing beside the stools--ain't they sweet?

After our delightful interlude at Fairley's Pharmacy, we wandered around Portland's Hollywood District, looking for the great big Fred Meyer grocery store that I had been to once, as a passenger in June, 2006. I just couldn't find that store, and then I accidentally got us onto I-84, heading into the city, so we exited at Lloyd Center, a shopping mall. You see, we were not looking for groceries alone, we were looking for a jewelry department where we hoped to get Mama's chain repaired or replaced so that she could once again where her heart pendant. Lo and behold, we found a handicapped parking spot right beside a door to the mall--Mama has a rear-view-mirror-hang-tag. Then, for more lo and behold, we found a jewelry store right inside that very door. And the store manager made Mama a deal she couldn't refuse on a new chain. Oh, joy! Mission accomplished. Then we went to our neighborhood Fred Meyer to buy some groceries before heading to the apartment. Right now they're playing a card game they love, called Hand and Foot. Duncan's curled up beside me on the couch as I blog. "Bridget Jones' Diary" just finished on Lifetime, and I'm waiting for the local weather forecast on KGW-TV.

I've taken vacation all week, and we're spending Tuesday and Wednesday nights at the Pacific Coast, in Lincoln City. Duncan can go with us, and the place has wifi! I'll keep y'all posted on our fun times.

Sunday evening we're going to 3 Doors Down Cafe for dinner; Leland and Kailey are joining us, and Lamont will be cooking, so it'll be a neat night.

1 comment:

MissKris said...

What a delight to come catch up this morning! Between your beautiful autumn photos and these two beautiful women, it's a toss-up as to which I enjoyed more! Your Mama and Lucy remind me of Hal and Len, the father and father-in-law of Jim Shockey, a Canadian hunting guide. Quite often his shows feature trips he takes with these two older gentlemen and they're an absolute HOOT!!! I think your Mama and Lucy are probably a little more on the 'dignified' side, but it sure looks like y'all have been having a wonderful time! I'm hoping you'll be posting some photos of your Lincoln City trip???