Thursday, January 01, 2009

Balance, a pertinent concept for 2009

uni_nw23_snow_wide_enhanced
New Year's Resolutions? Why weight yourself down with that word, resolution?

I prefer the word concept, as in, according to Merriam-Webster Online, something conceived in the mind, a thought, a notion; or an abstract or generic idea generalized from particular instances.

So, I'm here to say that in my mind, balance is the watchword in 2009. For me it's not abstract, it's particular. As in balance between eating and exercise, being creative and being lazy, being curious and being dull. I guess you could say, though, that I'm really leaning one way on those last two, towards being creative and being curious. Maybe it's abstract, after all. Lots about life can be, can't it?

I took this photo on Dec. 31, walking along NW 23rd, after having walked to the pharmacy to get a refill of one of Mama's prescriptions. I took a circuitous route back, looking for two things, exercise and photo ops. It's a good thing I did that yesterday, because in the last 24 hours, we've had 1.33 inches of rain in Portland, with the certainty of much more in the next 24.

Do you go out on purpose, looking for things to photograph?

2 comments:

MissKris said...

I wish! I don't even find time to go to the bathroom by myself. I'm usually joined by both little grandsons and my dog, ha! I took photography in high school and did very well in it, especially my photos of little kids taken when they didn't know I was there. It's not that I've ever lost interest in it...I just don't have the time to devote to it. One of my grandfathers was a Top Secret Navy photographer in the Pacific during WWII. He joined up when he was in his 40s. To his dying day he'd hardly ever speak of those years. I look at old newsreels and still photos from the war and often wonder if Grandpa took some of them. I'll never know.

MissKris said...

What did you think of our surprise snow fall overnite? Dear Hubby and I woke up at 2:30 this morning. He had to start work early and when I came to I was wide awake so decided to join him. When he went down in to his den to read his Bible, I sat on the couch with Chloe dog and we watched the snow. So peaceful!