Monday, May 27, 2013

Mother's Day Mini-Vacation, No.15 - Views from atop Lava Butte Cinder Cone.


Click here for a trip to City Daily Photo, transporting you around the world every day.

DSC_0156_MP_mt_bachelor

One of Mt. Bachelor's ski lifts is visible in this photo, in its original size. I've resized it here, so I don't think you'll be able to see it. Just looking at it and how it went up and up the side of the mountain scared the hooey outta me.
 

DSC_0227_PM_mtns_view_cropped_3

As far as I can tell, these are South Sister, Broken Top, Middle Sister and North Sister. The angle from where I stood atop Lava Butte Cinder Cone caused this line-up. I looked and looked at maps and photos online, and the order I've mentioned is my best guess.
     DSC_0222_PM_twisted_tree

The top of the dead tree still standing in the crater.


DSC_0221_PM_twisted_tree

A lower portion of that same tree's trunk, complete with twisted limbs covered in some sort of vegetation. Did you notice the hole in it?


DSC_0207_PM_bird

I heard the sound of birds, skittering at each other. Looking carefully, I realized there were five or six tiny birds flying at each other around the dead tree. Here two of them.

DSC_0205_PM_bird

Aren't those wings amazing? And that tail? So lovely, too. My best guess, from looking and reading on the Internet and from listening to the sounds of various hummingbirds found in Oregon, is that these are Calliope hummingbirds. I hope someone who knows for sure will find this post and let me know.


DSC_0217_PM_bird

Cropped and altered in a effort to allow you to see the hummingbird on the tree trunk.

No comments: