Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Gallerie Rene, 207 SW Pine Street

This bright row of awnings caught my eye as we walked from the Bijou Cafe back to the Buick Saturday, after a scrumptious brunch. I found this online about the building: The Haseltine Building (1893) on the corner of Second and Pine was called in “A Century of Portland Architecture” by Thomas Vaughan and George A. McMath a “...prime example of Richardson Romanesque brick and stone construction...”
richardson_romanesque
You can see the stone in the row of arches. Here's one of the arches that houses Gallerie Rene, an interesting art gallery that does not allow photos inside, which I certainly understand.
rr_gallerie_rene
I did take these two photos of the front windows. If you look closely, you can see bits of what's inside. I hope to go back for one of their First Thursday shows.
rr_window_door_open

rr_door_window

1 comment:

momom said...

Ummm....memories of art history class, and history of architecture class. Romanesque is one of my least favorites, but this Richardsonian Romanesque is an Americanized interpretation, I suppose. Those chunky (faux?) blocks on the facade are an example of "rustication". There's lots of rustication on facades in Italian architecture.

I like the perspective shot of the awnings.

The building looks as if it has been cleaned on the outside.