Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Fog on the Willamette

On the morning of Nov. 21, after I got off the bus and crossed the street, I overheard a couple of people in front of the building talking about something they'd seen. It didn't come through to me just what they were talking about, but I did hear, "KOIN Tower," so I knew it must have been either on the east side of the river or at least in an eastward direction. When I got upstairs and looked out the window, I saw immediately what had caught their eye--the fog sitting on the Willamette River. In my almost two and a half years here in Portland, I've never seen fog like this.

I went to the sixth floor to take some quick photos. You can really tell that the fog is on the east side of I-5 in this shot. I like how the fog follows the curve in the river, shorter at each side of the photo, taller in the middle.
DSC_0368
This shot is directly south of the one above; you can see the upper and lower decks of the Marquam Bridge which carries I-5 across the Willamette River.
DSC_0365
Look how the bridge disappears into the fog.
DSC_0367
That's the KOIN Tower, the one with the point.KOIN is Channel 6, the local CBS affiliate.
DSC_0369
This photo is to the north of the first one. The tall building is nicknamed The Big Pink.
DSC_0374

No comments: