Monday, December 22, 2008

Seasons Greetings and some more Monday photos of Portland's snow show

I walked about eight blocks from the apartment to the MAX stop across the street from PGE Park. On the way I stopped to get this shot of one of the big heads in front of the stadium, at SW 20th and SW Morrison. The red lights in his eyes are, on the left of the photo, the P, and on the right of the photo, the K, from PGE PARK. See the next photo for a visual explanation; it's the lower, smaller PGE PARK.
DSC_0036
Here's a wide shot. When I looked at the photo just now, in the large size, I got really tickled by the way the handrail splits the mouth into two giant teeth and how the snow on the small overhand roof shows in the the two eyes, making it look like he's got his eyes barely open, slits even, like some people's eyes get when they're laughing.
DSC_0033
And here's the other big head, on the corner of SW Morrison and SW 18th. The yellow in the eye on the right of the photo is a fire hydrant diagonally across the intersection.
DSC_0041

Oh, good, a bus! I get closer. I see the driver get back on. He's standing there, drinking coffee. I walk to the door. He opens it. I ask, "Are you stuck?" "Yes," he replies. "Oh, crap!" I say. We wish each other Merry Christmas and I continue to walk. If I'd been able to get on the 20, which was trying to turn around at SW 20th Place and SW Morrison, a place that is never used for that purpose by a bus, I would have missed my photos of the big heads at PGE Park. See, there's a plan to all of this.
DSC_0031
It looks like such a normal bus, doesn't it? Hey! I just looked at this photo in the large size and got a nice surprise. Can you see the seven pairs of shoes hanging from the wire above the bus? Why do people throw their shoes like that? I wonder.
DSC_0032
Luckily, I caught a MAX right after I got to the stop. Then I got off at SW 4th and walked to SW 3rd, headed for a stop for the 4, my second bus. On the way, though, I figured if I saw a 10, I could catch it just as well and end up at work, too. So, when I first saw this bus at the 10 stop, I though, "Oh, good a bus." Then I saw the sign on the back, "Not in Service." Another stuck bus. I'd heard on the TV before I left about several being stuck in the snow, but I didn't expect that downtown since it's plowed pretty well. I kept walking.
DSC_0065
How do those little-looking wires keep the chains on those heavy buses?
DSC_0066

Here's another Portland icon that I adore, the Thompson Elk in between SW 3rd and SW 4th, on SW Main.
DSC_0074
DSC_0075
DSC_0079

One more beloved icon, from Pioneer Courthouse Square, "Allow Me." Actually, he looks a bit possessed, doesn't he? With that snow rubbed into his eyes, nose and mouth?
DSC_0137

Working folks were out and about. Like this man shoveling snow--I took this photo through the window of the MAX.
DSC_0051
And this UPS man, helped by a woman on the street.
DSC_0054
And this guy, plowing snow around a federal building on the corner of SW Salmon and SW 3rd.
DSC_0071
And this man blowing snow on the corner of SW Main and SW 3rd, in front of the Justice Center which houses the Portland Police Bureau and the Multnomah County Detention Center, a jail.
DSC_0099
The police person(s) in this Portland Police Bureau car.
DSC_0107
The sheriff's officer person(s) in this Multnomah County Sheriff's Office truck.
DSC_0110
The driver of this MAX that I took downtown, and the driver of the one I took back from downtown to PGE Park after work.
DSC_0060
And this person plowing the MAX rails. The downtown rails are set into the streets, so the snow has to be scraped off them.
DSC_0121
The woman driving this 4 bus over the Hawthorne Bridge. See the two skiers? They're on the sidewalk where I walked across the bridge when it snowed in January, 2007. I decided against walking over the bridge today because it was much colder.
DSC_0111
And the young woman driving this snow plow on Burnside.
DSC_0187

Quirky sights from today.
DSC_0015
DSC_0058
DSC_0064
DSC_0067
DSC_0088
DSC_0144
DSC_0145
DSC_0147
DSC_0148
DSC_0160

Here's an update for the sidewalk I've been photographing with my back to Burnside, the motorcycle from yesterday, the ice-art-dog's-head on the pickup hood, the scooters and the car across from the kitchen window.
DSC_0189
DSC_0193
DSC_0194
DSC_0197
DSC_0201
DSC_0202

No comments: