Sunday, December 21, 2008

Unreal, Sunday's Photos of Our Snowy Neighborhood

The ice came and stayed, on top of the snow. It's been cold all day. When I took Duncan out for his morning walk, some where around 10 a.m., I took the camera, too. Then after I brought him back inside, I went back out to take some more photos. My feet got way too cold. I should have put on another pair of socks. I'll have to remember to do that tomorrow when I get ready to go to work! Oh, I called Mama on the cell phone from the front walk and said, "Look out the bathroom window. I'll knock on the snow so that you can hear it." "OK," she said. And in a few minutes I knocked with my knuckles on the snow atop the hedge. She couldn't hear it, so I knocked with Duncan's leash--knocking any harder with my knuckles wasn't an option, it hurt like hell! She heard the leash knock and was astounded. Here's a shot of the front of the building, taken from across the street near the red truck. I forgot to say that I knocked on both hedges on each side of the front walk, too.
DSC_0058
And here's a closeup of the icy snow and the poor ol' cold hedge.
DSC_0061
Here's a shot taken from the front steps. Not only is the ice on top of the snow, it coated the handrail, both the top that you hold on to and the supports of that top. Amazing!
DSC_0062

So, here are the photos. I called Mama from the corner and asked her to stick her head out the kitchen window and wave. "I'll take your picture," I told her. She graciously agreed. Isn't she a cutie?
DSC_0077
I love this ironic bumper sticker on the hatchback door of a vehicle parked on NW Everett.
DSC_0125
Here's the whole vehicle and a bicycle, too. If this person who evidently likes to ski made it up to Mt. Hood Saturday, I wonder if it was in this vehicle--it has less snow on its roof, so maybe it didn't get parked here until after some sort of drive/trip.
DSC_0126
Speaking of vehicles, here is the car across from the kitchen window on NW 22nd Avenue, the one I've been using as a measuring device. I took this one from the street.
DSC_0069
The red truck, across NW Everett from our building, and its snow.
DSC_0043
A blue VW on NW Everett.
DSC_0039
A yellow VW Beetle, on the north side of NW Everett, and a yellow VW on the south side.
DSC_0053
A silver Volvo wagon on NW Everett.
DSC_0040
A car on NW Everett, illustrating what the weather/news people are telling folks to do with their windshield wipers so they won't freeze to the windshield.
DSC_0044
Two views of the scooters on NW 22nd Avenue.
DSC_0068
If this were your baby, would you not be going out to check on it and its cover? Your helmet? I sure would.
DSC_0082
A fire truck on NW Everett.
DSC_0045
A City of Portland snow plow, on Burnside.
DSC_0096
Another city snow plow on NW Everett. I just happened to be there at the kitchen window with my camera. I wasn't so lucky later on when I saw a man skiing east on NW Everett!
DSC_0135
Two shots of a motorcycle on NW 22nd Avenue.
DSC_0115
DSC_0116
And another motorcycle, this one being ridden up NW 22nd towards Burnside.
DSC_0074
And for the final vehicle, some shots of my favorite vintage yellow Chevy pickup. It's parked on NW Everett.
DSC_0047
DSC_0049
DSC_0050
DSC_0054

Now for some ice shots. First, a shot of broken ice sheets along the sidewalk on NW Everett. Someone besides me caused this breakage although I caused plenty as I gingerly stomped up and down both sides of NW Everett and NW 22nd Avenue.
DSC_0056
Here's a couple of utilitarian ice shots. This is the light pole that supports the streetlight I shot from the kitchen window. The pole is encased in ice.
DSC_0070
And how about this ice-coated stop sign?
DSC_0080
Imagine my surprise when I came across this artistic ice! I see a heart, a house, and maybe a sun or moon. Someone took the time to break the ice sheet from some nearby snow and then to fashion these shapes that have meaning to us all. Well, not exactly the last one on the right because all I could tell about it is that it is round.
DSC_0084
A series of ice shots, these of icicles on the Garden Party Room at Elephant’s, between Burnside and us.
DSC_0088
DSC_0089
Here's a wide shot of the whole wall.
DSC_0087
One last artistic ice shot--if you hold your head just right, squint maybe, you can tell this is a dog's head, facing right. At least that's what I see.
DSC_0122

Here's the same sidewalk shot that I've taken all week, the one I take with my back to Burnside. I had just watched several vehicles being pushed up the last part of this hill. If not for the able men who helped, neither one would have made it out onto Burnside. I was too far away to get a meaningful photo and just couldn't walk any faster--shoot!
DSC_0091

It's been snowing and/or freezing raining again, and we might get four more inches before it stops tonight. Mama and I are so very thankful for our continued electricity and pray for those who have lost it across the country as well as for all of the workers trying to get it back again. Plus we have to remember the street and highway crews, the law enforcement and fire department agency members and rescue/health care workers, as well as all of the retail and restaurant folks who came to work so that the random and/or determined shoppers/diners get their heart's desire.

2 comments:

MissKris said...

I don't know if you're being as hammered with the east wind in your neighborhood as we are out here in our SE neighborhood but the amount of snow and ice is incredible. Our poor dog is so confused she can't make up her mind where to go potty because the snow is deeper than she is tall. So she's just been squatting on the shoveled sidewalk and letting 'er rip, haha! Dear Hubby shoveled several sidewalk/walkways in our neighborhood this morning and this evening you can hardly tell it. Anyone ready for summer yet??? He tried walking to the top of Mt. Tabor this morning using ski poles but got as far as Lincoln...then turned around. Tomorrow if he doesn't work - and it doesn't look like he will as of now - he's breaking out the snow shoes and heading up there. I hope so! The man goes CRAZY when he's cooped up, haha! Me...I'll probably spend the day piddling on the computer, reading, and listening to my new Enigma CD.

Lori said...

This is amazing weather we're having! I just knew you'd get some good pics. I posted some today on our main blog (ourownrooney) that I took around our neighborhood in NE. I'm so glad we stocked up at the grocery yesterday morning because there was no getting out today...and maybe tomorrow!